Tuesday, June 27, 2017

THE SAVIOR'S WORDS

No one ever taught as Jesus did. The Bible says, “All bare Him witness and wondered at the gracious words which proceeded out of His mouth.” Luke 4:22. One of His disciples said to another, “Did not our hearts burn within us, while He talked with us by the way and while He opened to us the Scriptures?” Luke 24:32. We cannot go into all of Jesus’ teachings in a short writing like this, but we can quote some of His sayings. Here are seven which are concerning Himself, all of which begin with the words “I am.”

“I am the bread of life; he that comes to Me shall never hunger and he that believes on me shall never thirst.” John 6:33. Bread was the basic food in Palestine in Jesus’ day. The meaning of His saying is that, as man must have food to live, so he must have Jesus for salvation and eternal life. He alone can satisfy the hunger and thirst in man’s soul.

“I am the light of the world; he that follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.” John 8:12. If we wish to walk in God’s light, we must follow Jesus.

“I am the door; by Me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out and find pasture.” John 10:9. Jesus isn’t just one of many doors. He is the only door leading to eternal life. If we truly believe on Him, His promise to us is sure. We “shall be saved.”

“I am the good shepherd; the good shepherd gives His life for the sheep.” John 10:11. Here Jesus was telling us what He was going to do for us. He would die that we might be saved. The penalty for our sins is death and he paid that penalty that we might live forever. With the word “shepherd”, Jesus shows how tenderly He wants to take care of us.

“I am the resurrection and the life; he that believes in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live, and whosoever lives and believes in me shall never die.” John 11:25 & 26. It is certain that we must all die. But if we believe on Jesus, that dying will have no sting. He will also raise us up again to live forever.

“I am the way, the truth and the life; no man comes unto the Father but by me.” John 14:6. There is no other way to heaven. Jesus alone can save you. Apart from Him, there is no truth and no eternal life.

“I am the vine; you are the branches . . . He that abides in me and I in him, the same brings forth much fruit. Herein is my Father glorified that you bear much fruit.” John 15:5 & 8. As the branches receive daily life from the vine, so we need Jesus as our life. Abiding in Him, we can truly glorify God by bringing forth much fruit.

John E. Capron – Guest Blogger

No comments:

Post a Comment